Saturday, June 2, 2007

First Post After Enlistment

I've been enlisted to NS for almost 3 months and I am about to POP soon. Yet i failed to keep this blog updated. Reason being i am too lazy to take photos. So since this is the long weekend, i shall keep you guys updated on my life:

Firstly, 3 months ago, i came into an island call Pulau Tekong as a Chao Recruit a.k.a. lowest life-form. One of my most dreaded thing is that i became another member of the botak (no hair) community. Being a vain idiot, i have to find something to hide my botak-ness. I mean, i am so used to having "long" hair such that i can style them whatever i want and then i dont hav anything up there anymore, hence this becomes one of my favourite company when i go out during the weekends...

Back in camp, i got lotsa military stuff to handle. One of which is my number 4 uniform which i always bring home to wash during the weekends. As my OC says, this uniform not only represents the country, not only represents you (myself), but also my family, my father, my ancestors for it has my surname on it...

Secondly, another major thing that concerns my future - university application. I applied for NUS and NTU. Both having chemical engineering as the first choice and science as the 2nd for NUS while chemistry & biological chemistry for NTU. The NTU letter came very early, it came in late april, 2 days before the joint acceptance programme started. I got into my first choice for NTU. However, what kept me worried for the next 1 month of may is the fact that my NUS letter didn arrive. I waited for weeks until it came just last sunday, just when I thought it is never going to come...


Thats a sigh of relief for me. Alas, I was not offered my first choice for NUS and there comes my dilemma of accepting which offer. Comparing between the 2 offers, NTU gave me my first choice and that course promise me a good professional job with good pay in the future. However, NTU's chem eng only has a short history of 2 yrs and may not be as established as NUS'. As for NUS' science, it is rather established with a history of 75 years. Apart from that i have a special interest in chemistry which i can pursue in NUS Science. However, NUS Science is not as prestigious as chemical engineering and the degree is rather general, not promising me any professional jobs in the future. In the end i choose...

NUS Science


Do not ask me why, i am just more inclined to enter NUS perhaps. Maybe it is due to the "NUS brand" i am going for. Haha.

Finally, a bonus to me during the past 3 months is that I got invited back to AJC college day on the 19th May 2007 for my "decent" A lvl results. As most of you can guess it, its because i got 4 A lvl distinctions. Not really something very worth to be proud about (due to the fact that there are far much more brighter candidates out there from RJ, HC, etc). I do not really want to go back initially when i received the letter of invitation but my parents sort of "forced" me to go. So i finally did and there goes my "few seconds of fame, pride and glory" as i ascend the stage infront of so many audience to receive this trophy (together with many other peers with similar or much better achievements than me) from one of the VIPs who happens to be one of the school advisory committe.


Apart from the trophy i also got a certificate collected before the actual ceremony in the LT and also $60 worth of Times bookshop voucher. I wonder why they give Times voucher because the bookshop seemed so rare now in Singapore.

As for now, the spirit in my company is high because we will be POPing in less than 2 weeks time. After clearing all the major events in BMT such as field camp and range, we are now left with 24km route march which will take place this tuesday. As for when my next entry in this blog will arrive, i do not know. Perhaps next week, perhaps next year, perhaps never. Haha.

No comments: